SR OPERATIONS ENGINEER
Posted on: April 17, 2019
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is a global communications and IT services
company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the
digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems
management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting,
cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband,
voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a
robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a
360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit
CenturyLink for more information.
Provides tier III Engineering support to CenturyLink StratGov
Managed Service NOC (Network Operation Center). Work with the CTL
technical teams in delivering real-time technical support while
interfacing directly with our US-based and international customers
in a 7 x 24 x 365 NOC and engineering support environment.
- First Shift Support - 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Provides off-hours on-call support on a rotating basis with
engineering peers. (Including holidays & weekends)
- Ability to work overtime and on holidays on rotational
- Conducting complex network equipment installation and related
OS support activities.
- Configures and maintains installed systems to meet customer
- Performs various troubleshoots tasks while seeking to provide
resolution for voice or data network performance and
- Identifies capacity and performance issues to ensure continued,
uninterrupted operation of supported network hardware and related
- Installs and maintains various network infrastructures,
providing support to design, installation and maintenance for new
and existing installations.
- Performs installation, configuration, and maintenance for VoIP
communications equipment, including related DNS/DHCP
- Manages daily service request workloads using various ticket
management systems and CTL call center applications.
- Act as technical lead to provide mentoring activities for lower
tier team members. This may include leading various KT (knowledge
transfer) training sessions.
- Provides high-level technical support for configurations,
troubleshooting, and service restoration while interfacing directly
with equipment vendors and CTL customer.
- Provides primary break/fix engineering and configuration for
data systems in line with customers goals and requirements
- Assists with testing and turn-up of new circuits and/or
equipment, including cross-connects and related connectivity
- Uses various systems, software and hardware tools to identify
and diagnose device health status and identify problems.
- Supports the creation of and maintains departmental methods of
procedure (MOPs) and related documentation as needed.
- Analyzes complex networks to include planning, designing,
evaluating, selecting operating systems and various protocol
- Conducts / directs disaster recovery planning. Activities
include network failover and recovery planning , detecting faults
and minimizing outage downtimes.
- Applies advanced Engineering and network principles, theories,
concepts and technologies to solve unusually complex problems and
- 5 - 8 years NOC experience supporting IP network operations
- This position requires solid interpersonal skills & a
demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a large technical
- Interfaces directly with various CenturyLink departments in
maintaining customer network resiliency and while supporting
reported network issues.
- Must maintain the ability to self-manage assigned job role
responsibilities to achieve desired performance results.
- Acts as liaison between the customer and other network vendors
or service providers while supporting high-level or escalated
- Candidate must posses solid written & verbal communication
skills. Demonstrates prior experience interacting with
- Candidate demonstrates experience in the use of personal
computers, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Proficiency with presentations to technical and non-technical
audiences; must be able to translate technical terms and concepts
to non-technical entities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute multiple tasks in
a rapidly changing work environment.
- Candidate demonstrates the ability to troubleshoot and resolve
complex network issues related to their support roles. (R/S,
Security, VoIP etc.)
- Must have experience with security configurations of network
Required Education / Certifications
- Required - Candidate must hold an ACTIVE Cisco CCNP
certification or demonstrate equivalent technical support
experience. Certification must be obtained within 12 months of hire
if not actively held.
- Required - Cisco Wireless Controller configuration and
- Required - Aruba routing, switching, security, and wireless
configuration and management
- Required - Security certification (CompTIA Security +, SSCP,
CISM or CISSP)
- Preferred - DoD STIG experience
Alternate Location: US-Minnesota-St Paul; US-North Carolina-Wake
Requisition #: 211508
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment.
A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all
persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national
origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic
characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation,
gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other
legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We
do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment
decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion,
benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate
the general nature and level of work performed by employees within
this classification. It is not designed to contain or be
interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties,
responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned
to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change
based on changing business needs and conditions.
Keywords: CenturyLink, Arlington , SR OPERATIONS ENGINEER, Engineering , Arlington, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!